Winter is nearly upon us, and you know what that may mean for some people? Tight, itchy, dehydrated skin!
Dehydrated skin can feel flaky, tight, sensitive and highly reactive. You may also notice fine lines from the dehydration, and perhaps lose that healthy glow.
Why can winter cause more dehydrated skin for us?
There’s less moisture in the air and so your skin is much more susceptible to dehydration. In the cooler months we tend to drink less enough water, and lean toward coffee and teas which cause internal dehydration. We also tend to have hotter and longer showers which dry our skin out. Our lipid barrier which is located in the top layer of our skin plays a vital part in stopping dehydrated skin. It keeps the moisture in our skin. When this barrier function is impaired due to incorrect skincare or other external factors such as winter, moisture evaporates through the skin causing dehydration.
But don’t think dehydrated skin only happens in winter. It can happen any time of the year and other causes include factors such as wind, air-conditioning and heating systems, flight travel, over cleansing, taking certain medications and application of the wrong skincare.
So what can we do to avoid dehydration? Let’s look at our 7 step solution …
1. Moisturise your skin with the recommended moisturiser for your skin, day and night.
2. Try a hydrating serum that is specific to treat dehydration.
3. Avoid using soap on the skin which is often very alkaline.
4. Avoid showers that are too hot, and keep them shorter.
5. Eliminate harsh, stripping cleansers and give your skin the opportunity to produce its own acid mantle.
6. Keep your fluids up by drinking lots of pure water.
7. Ensure you are on a skincare program specific to your skin type and condition.
How can you ensure you are on the right skincare program?
Visit your nearest Katrinas Skin Works Salon and make an appointment to come in and see one of our skin therapists. They will perform a thorough skin analysis and develop a customised homecare program with supportive professional products. Our specifically designed products contain ingredients to combat dehydrated skin, and along with our paramedical treatments can support a healthy functioning lipid barrier.
Check out our locations to make an appointment at a salon closest to you.